A crushing but meaningless blow.

01 March 2006

Lions & Lambs

It's still cold, but there's a definite feeling of spring in the air. I'm finely attuned to these things.

Last night I looked at the artwork Dave is preparing for the album. It made me really happy. I think it's gonna look really nice and give the whole thing an atmosphere. It's cool to see the disparate tendrils starting to come together on this long, insane project we've undertaken. I can't wait to hold the first copy in my hand. I'm gonna indulge a little here in the sin of pride. I think it's a damn good album, I hope people like it.

The new Liars record is pretty good, as is that Celebration album. I never really cared for Liars before, but the new one is interesting, somehow atmospheric and primal at the same time. I feel like Celebration are a flip side of the same coin, just a little more careening. The 3rd and 4th tracks are especially excellent, and sounded great walking to Steph's place in the cold and howling wind Sunday night. Those also happen to be the songs where guitars first appear. I just like guitars I guess, so sue me.

I'm discovering how much more there is to George Orwell than Animal Farm and 1984. Down and Out In Paris and London reminds me of my days of unemployment living in Washington Heights, scrounging whatever money I could to eat and drink, and reversing my sleeping patterns so as never to see the sun. It was stressful, but in a weird way I was much happier than I am now, with steady job and health insurance. To be completely in control of one's own time is very liberating, even if you don't have money. You learn to live without it anyway.

I've been meaning to say this, but I saw Hula a week or two ago, for the first time in too long a time, and they're still excellent. Highly recommended.

No comments: