A crushing but meaningless blow.

15 May 2006

The Face of a City Changes More Quickly

The interesting thing about New York is that you can literally watch it change before your eyes. On Saturday I walked all around the Lower East Side, which is rapidly filling up with posh high-rises, and then home to Brooklyn via 4th Ave. and the construction sites of ambiguous purpose that are surrounding (and dwarfing) my apartment building.

Soundtracking this bout of wandering was an assortment of new music purchases: the Ellen Allien/Apparat album, which is the best electronic record I've heard in a while, Bound Stems, who prove (along with Sally, Pelican, Chin Up Chin Up et al) that Chicago is birthing more interesting indie rock than NY these days, the first Durutti Column album, which is a bit more jazzy/noodly than I expected but neat nonetheless (love that Martin Hannet production), and I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, who are good but conventional.

I was reminded that the new Twilight Singers album comes out tomorrow, and this was happy enough an occurence, and then THIS! Now if only I weren't so immediately sick and miserable. I vow to persevere and rehearse like mad tonite - no excuses for missing a whole week.

This has been a little too what-I-did-today diary-ish for my taste. Sorry.

New songs are occupying my mind. They are good, but dark. Working off themes of sexual violence. Which is not enjoyable, but necessary I think. It actually kinda makes me literally ill. But, as they say, I didn't choose the subject, in a sense it chose me. Hope to demo tonite. I plan to eat a lot of pizza.

Note to future me(s): this was you before anyone cared.

No comments: